Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Ruleset
- 2 Stock in singles, 3 Stock in teams.
- 6 minute timer for singles, 8 minute timer for teams.
- Items are set to “off”.
- All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and
grand finals are best of 3 matches, while best of 5 will be played out
for any of the aforementioned sets. More sets can be played out as best
of 5 if time permits, this is up to the TO.
- You are responsible for your own controls and name tag. Always check to
make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played.
If a match is to be restarted due to controls, it must be agreed upon
by both parties.
- If you use a controller that is not the standard wired GameCube
controller, make sure you do not remain synced to a system and
interfere with following matches. It is recommended to remove batteries
whenever possible. Note that you are likely to be reprimanded if your
controller of choice hinders the tournament.
- Custom moves are banned.
- All equipment is banned.
- Miis are legal with their default properties and all movesets. You have a maximum
of 2 minutes to set up a Mii.
- All DLC is legal.
- Pausing should be turned off. In the event pause is on and is pressed
during a tournament match, whether by accident or on purpose, the
opponent can demand that the perpetrating player forfeit their
- No player may choose any stage they won on in the set, unless agreed
upon by both players.
- All infinites are legal. Keep the stalling rule in mind, which states
all infinites are to be ended quickly after 300% has been reached.
- Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing,
disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of
that match for the player that initiated the action. You are
responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about
accidentally triggering one of these effects. The Bowser Jr. Clown Car
Glitch is an exception to this rule.
- Bowser Jr. Clown Car Glitch: The glitch is recognizable by teleports
and changes in animations and hitboxes on Bowser Jr.'s end. If it
happens, players are to restart the match and get as close as possible
to the same stocks and percentage as they had when it happened.
- Stalling is banned. Definition of stalling: The act of deliberately
avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable.
Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not
stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any
infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as
to prevent excessive stalling.
- No coaching request: If your opponent is being coached, you can request
this not to happen and that should be honored. Note that this applies
to coaching during matches and not inbetween.
Set Format (In Order of Procedure)
- Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
- Opponents start the stage striking procedure
- The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
- The winner of the previous match is allowed to ban a stage (this does
not apply to doubles and best of 5 sets)
- The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from
either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List, taking no more
than 2 minutes
- The winner of the previous match chooses their character, taking no
more than 2 minutes
- The loser of the previous match chooses their character, taking no more
than 2 minutes
- Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match.
- Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock
and then percentage. The Sudden Death is not to be played under any
- If percentages are the same or both players die simultaneously, there
will be a 1 stock, 3 minutes, same characters, same stage
- When a suicide move ends the match (such as Bowser’s Koopa Klaw or
Ganondorf’s forward+B), the game’s verdict should always be honored.
This means that if the game goes to Sudden Death rather than a victory
screen, it is a tie and the 1-stock rematch will have to be
Additional Rules for Doubles Play
- Life Stealing is allowed.
- Set team attack to ON.
- Battlefield (Miiverse is treated as the same stage)
- Dream Land 64
- Palutena's Temple (Omega)
- Town and City
Final Destination and all Omega stages, excluding Wario Gamer Omega and Castle
Siege Omega (FD and all Omegas are treated as being the same stage)
Gentleman's clause: If both players come to an agreement, stages may be chosen
that aren't otherwise legal.